faqFrequently Asked Questions about the Summer School
What about Covid-19?
Current travel requirements for canada are here. At the moment, entry into Canada for fully vaccinated travellers (with a recognized vaccine, see website) requires proof of vaccination uploaded in advance to the ArriveCan app/website. If you are not fully vaccinated there may be other requirements, which may include pre-arrival and/or on-arrival testing and a quarantine plan. We are committed to providing a safe environment for participants. During the school masks will be required in all indoor spaces except while eating or drinking. If weather permits (likely most days of June), participants can have snacks from the coffee breaks outdoors. X
- Can I get funding?
- Is there an registration fee?
Can I get travel funding?
Our budget only allows us to offer local expenses for some participants. It is possible that NSF funds will allow partial reimbursement of travel expenses for US based participants.X
Can I submit my CV in a format other than PDF?
We anticipate many applications. To streamline our process, it would be helpful if all documents are in a single format. There are free applications for converting from many formats to PDF.X
When will funding be decided?
Funding will be determined in January, to allow attendees to make visa and travel arrangements.X
I'm funded; Where will I be staying?
Funded participants will be staying at suites in Gage towers. These have several bedrooms, and a shared kitchen and bathrooms. Most have good views.X
- Where is Gage?
- Where is PIMS? Where are the lectures?
I'm not funded; Where can I stay? How much will it cost?
Typical monthly rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in Vancouver is about $1500 and up (and can be much higher). A room in a shared apartment is obviously less. There are some options for staying on campus which is recommended in order to socialize with other participants.
- UBC residences have a variety of rooms available at various rates. These range from simple dorm rooms and Pacific spirit hostel, Green college and St. John's college, and the high end West Coast suites,
- Carey Centre have Twin, Queen, Studio rooms and 1 and 2 bedroom suites.
- It is possible to find short term sublets/rentals through Craigslist. (search for UBC in the Craigslist sublet category.) Many other places are off campus (anything along 4th or broadway will have frequent and fast bus service to UBC).
- Airbnb has many rooms and apartments for rent, at all price levels. X
Do I need a visa for Canada? Can you help?
Participants from some countries require a visa to enter Canada (which can take some time to secure). Some others need to apply for an electronic travel authorization before flying, which normally takes a few minutes. It is your responsibility to find out whether you need a visa. If you do, Ruth Situma (email:email@example.com) can assist in this. Please also read this information from PIMS.X
What is that image in the background?
Nothing there at the moment. get your vision checked. At the top is sunset on the Howe sound, seen from the Cypress ski hill at the outskirts of Vancouver.X
What's happening on wednesdays?
There will be various excursions and hikes scheduled. Information will be posted later.X