NewsDue to the ongoing global crisis, the summer school has been cancelled.
faqFrequently Asked Questions about the Summer School
- Can I get funding?
- Is there an registration fee?
Can I get travel funding?
Our budget only allows us to offer local expenses for some participants. NSF funds allows partial reimbursement of travel expenses for US based participants.X
Can I submit my CV in a format other than PDF?
We anticipate many applications. To streamline our process, it would be helpful if all documents are in a single format. There are free applications for converting from many formats to PDF.X
When will funding be decided?
Funded participants have been contacted. Other participants are on a waitlist, and may be funded should additional funds become available.X
I'm funded; Where will I be staying?
Funded participants will be staying at suites in Gage towers. These have several bedrooms, and a shared kitchen and bathrooms. Most have good views.X
- Where is Gage?
- Where is PIMS? Where are the lectures?
I'm not funded; Where can I stay? How much will it cost?
Typical monthly rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in Vancouver is about $1400 and up (and can be much higher). A room in a shared apartment is obviously less. There are some options for staying on campus which is recommended in order to socialize with other participants.
- UBC residences have a variety of rooms available at various rates. These range from simple dorm rooms and Pacific spirit hostel, Green college and St. John's college, and the high end West Coast suites,
- Carey Centre have Twin, Queen, Studio rooms and 1 and 2 bedroom suites.
- It is possible to find short term sublets/rentals through Craigslist. (search for UBC in the Craigslist sublet category.) Many other places are off campus (anything along 4th or broadway will have frequent and fast bus service to UBC).
- Airbnb has many rooms and apartments for rent, at all price levels. X
Do I need a visa for Canada? Can you help?
Participants from some countries require a visa to enter Canada (which can take some time to secure). Some others need to apply for an electronic travel authorization before flying, which normally takes a few minutes. It is your responsibility to find out whether you need a visa. If you do, Ruth Situma (email:firstname.lastname@example.org) can assist in this. Please also read this information from PIMS.X
What is that image in the background?
Nothing there at the moment. get your vision checked. At the top is sunset on the Howe sound, seen from the Cypress ski hill at the outskirts of Vancouver.X
What's happening on wednesdays?
There will be various excursions and hikes scheduled. Information will be posted later.X